Tuesday, September 21, 2010

COLLEGE

The beginning of senior year is a stressful time for most high school students.  They are going through the difficult process of college applications.  College applications require time and focus in order to show why you would be a good fit for a particular college.  College apps are scary for most students.  The essays are daunting and some colleges require multiple.  The college applications essays can make some of the best writers choke as they have a difficult time writing a personal statement.  A common question for most colleges is talking about some life changing risk or experience you have.  Students struggle as they feel they don't have a good enough moment in their life that best exemplifies the question.  Also they feel as their essay has to be perfect and they spend hours upon hours trying to produce a good result.
Some high school students have known where they want to go to college their whole life.  Now that the time is here to apply to the college it makes them uneasy as they could face the harsh reality of not getting into the college of their dreams.   I recommend that students read up on how to write good essays and have their parents help them with the process.  A 2nd set of eyes could be very helpful to try and submit a quality application.  Seniors every year go through the hardships of the college application as this is the next step in their academic career.

3 comments:

  1. It is that time of the year where seniors are starting to fill out and send in their college apps. I have not yet started mine but I am looking forward to starting them this weekend. My college of choice right now would be Central Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scariest thing about the college applictation process for me is the anticipation of waiting to hear whether I get in, and also the fact the decision is completley out of my hands: there is nothing further I can do to influence the colleges decision. Throughout the application your are forced to look back and refelct on your entire high school career. This troubles me because I know there are certain times and areas where I could've performed at a higher level. Because of this I am not only anxious and scared of the colleges decisions to accept me, but rather scared that I didn't do enough and work hard enough to feel confident I will be accepted. Advice I would give to anyone, any age, reading this is always perform at your highest level everyday because at some point it will effect your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett makes a good point that college apps make the beginning of senior year a stressful time.Some students GPA and tests scores are high enough that their essays probably will not be a deciding factor in them being admitted to their college of choice.That makes the process significantly less stressful. I, however, have been wanting to go to U of M my whole life and have the grades the test scores to be considered with more than just a chance to get in, but my essays will have an impact on my overall application.This makes the process more stressful because I could potentially be on the bubble and it's on my mind throughout the whole application process. Once I've written acceptable essays, and get my apps into the colleges I want to go to, the stress will vanish. After that point I have no more control and just have to wait until the admission office makes their decision.

    ReplyDelete